Friday, February 12, 2010

stalking on 30 rock

In last night's episode of 30 Rock (season 4, ep 13: Anna Howard Shaw Day), one of the plot lines involved one of the main characters mourning the "loss" of her stalker.

Clip at Hulu: http://www.hulu.com/watch/127671/30-rock-anna-howard-shaw-day

"High"lights from the episode:

"That's a real problem in the celebrity community. But if Beyonce would just answer one of my letters, I'd stop trying to break into her house." - Tracy, on stalkers
"I always knew it would end one day. I just always thought it would be me in the trunk of a rental car." - Jenna
"Wow, Avery Jessup, she's hot. She was on Maxim's I'd Rape Her 100." - Liz

The episode downplays stalking flattering, about wanted/positive attention, about love. It pokes fun at and makes light of a serious problem. (And it, apparently, got the second highest ratings of an episode so far this season.)

Maybe the writers could have benefited from seeing one of SAPAC's Stalking Awareness Month t-shirts.

It's not a joke
It's not romantic
It's not OK

No comments:

Post a Comment